Sunday 13 October 2013

Oh Mr Cameron - !!!NEW!!!

Another rare entry from my !!!NEW!!! collection today which this time attempts to tackle the topical issue of HS2. 

In 1893 a gentleman by the name of George Le Brunn wrote a song called Oh! Mr Porter – made famous by music hall performers such as Marie Lloyd. The chorus goes like this:

Oh! Mr Porter, what shall I do,
I wanted to go to Birmingham, and they've taken me on to Crewe,
Take me back to London, as quickly as you can
Oh! Mr Porter what a silly girl I am

Then in the 1960s when a certain Doctor Beeching came along and started shutting down England’s railways, the merry British public came up with this charming parody:

Oh, Dr Beeching, what have you done?
There once were lots of trains to catch, but soon there will be none,
I'll have to buy a bike, 'cause I can't afford a car,
Oh, Dr. Beeching, what a naughty man you are!

So I thought, in the wake of the current turmoil caused by the HS2 debate, that I’d have a go myself:

Oh, Mr Cameron, what’s going on?
I used to have a house and home, but soon they will be gone
It’s all for HS2, but I can’t afford the fee
Oh, Mr Cameron, how it’s worth it I can’t see

No comments:

Post a Comment