Sunday 6 October 2013

I wish we'd looked after the reef - !!!NEW!!!

Today a topical re-imagining of a famous poem by Pam Ayres inspired by a recent issue that a friend brought to my attention concerning the potential desecration of the Great Barrier Reef and written as if looking back from the future on events that could transpire if things continue as they are.
This is from my !!!NEW!!! collection - meaning it's a brand new creation not belonging to any previous category or submission – fresh for you to enjoy!


OH, I WISH WE'D LOOKED AFTER THE REEF
by Me

Oh, I wish we'd looked after the reef,

And saved all the fishes beneath,
All the wonders inside,
That we saw when we dived.
Oh, I wish we'd looked after the reef.
 

I wish I'd been that much more willing,
When there were no gaps needing filling.
No channels carved out,
Nothing to worry about,

And not one more mention of drilling.
When I think of the chances I blew,
To keep Australia’s waters blue.
To protect what’s on show,
And not let it all go,
But now all our fears have come true.

My Mother had often shown me,

All the wonders that lived in the sea.
But progress goes on,
And now they’re all gone,
And who thinks it’s worth it? Not me.

Oh if only I’d put up a fight,

To protect the poor reef – do what’s right,
‘Stop the madness!’ I’d shout.
‘Keep the politics out!’
Now it’s such a pitiful sight.

If I'd known we were paving the way,
For damage, destruction, decay, 
For the loss of such beauty,
‘Cause we failed in our duty,
I might have had more things to say.
As I let them just carry on,
And watch until it was all gone,
For each sack of coal,
We sacrificed a shoal,
And now it’s too late - their work’s done.

How I laughed at the worries of men,
Who feared that this spelled the end,
That our careless disdain,
Would soon haunt us again,
Oh, I wish we'd looked after the reef.

No comments:

Post a Comment