Sunday 26 October 2014

Speech-wrecker (Part 10) - Mercorabilia

Today I'm sharing an alternate version I created of Prospero's farewell soliloquy at the end of The Tempest - the intention being for it to say the same thing but in modern day language (& I even managed to get it to rhyme)

Shakespeare's original text:
If we shadows have offended,
Think but this and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
If you pardon, we will mend.
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call:
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
 

My alternate version: 
If you didn’t like the play you saw,
Forget it as you leave the door 
Tell yourself it wasn’t real 
Like something you cannot feel
If you didn’t like the plot
Maybe then you dreamt the lot
Please don’t be unkind to me
I beg of you on bended knee 
I try so hard to write the best 
But if it did your patience test 
To stop you dealing an unkind blow
I’ll make up for it with my next show
You have my word on that, I swear
So goodbye, it’s time you were not here
Please clap aloud and clap along
I’ll make up for all that I’ve done wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment