Thursday 6 February 2014

Speech-wrecker sketch - Mercorabilia

I’m probably alone in this but there have been several occasions where there’s been what supposed to be a really stirring speech in a film etc and I’m left thinking ‘Well I’m not convinced’ and it got me wondering what those scenes would be like if someone with my cynical standpoint was in those scenes to offer their ‘helpful’ perspectives.

Achilles: “Myrmidons, my brothers of the sword. I’d rather fight beside you than any army of thousands. Let no man forget how menacing we are, we are lions! Do you know what’s there, waiting, beyond that beach? Immortality! Take it, it’s yours!”
Soldier: Seriously? Don’t you mean certain death? Have you forgotten that what’s actually there waiting beyond that beach is several thousand Trojan soldiers wanting to hack us to bits for trying to invade their country. How on earth could you define that as ‘immortality’? More like insanity. And you really think we’re lions? A bunch of scared stiff blokes in metal outfits with metal sticks planning to run screaming hysterically at a bunch of other blokes covered in metal and pointing very sharp sticks at us. I think we could only be called lions if said lions had had their brains removed.
And of course you’d rather fight beside us – I mean where are you going to find yourself another army at this late stage? It’s either us or on your own…which actually sounds like a bloody good idea considering you haven’t actually needed us so far to win the battles. So, if it’s all the same to you, I’ll leave it thanks. What time’s the next boat back to Greece?

No comments:

Post a Comment