Monday 2 October 2017

From The Mind of Merc - Diets

(I thought I had already posted this thought but it turns out I haven't so here goes)

Sometimes I find my mind wandering over various eclectic topics and occasionally I am inspired to write some of them down. Today I was thinking about diets.

I don’t understand dieting. I mean, if it’s for your health then fine. If your weight is affecting you’re ability to carry on living – then it makes sense you would need to (try to) lose weight. But otherwise why would you put yourself through that? We all have such a short span upon this earth – why waste it being miserable?

Picture the scene - you’re having a lovely day out with your friends:-
Friend: What dessert are you having?
You: Oh, no – I won’t.
Friend: But everyone else is.
You: But I want to drop a jean size so I’ll pass.
Now you’re the Party Pooper.

Or how about you’re celebrating a achievement in your family
Family member: Champagne for everyone!
You: Oh, no thanks – I’m watching my figure.
Family member: So?
You: So do you know how many calories there are in champagne?
Moment ruined.

To me, the suggestion that you should forbid yourself from something you want because it might mean you won’t fit into clothes that aren’t your size is ludicrous. Here’s a novel idea – why not get clothes that fit you? With plus size becoming more socially acceptable (at last) there is much more choice and variety available for the majority of us who don’t fit into a size 6 summer dress. Make your wardrobe work for you – not the other way round.

I have a theory that everyone has a set weight that they are either biologically or genetically determined to fluctuate around. They may lose a little, they may gain a little but they will always hover around that weight. Evidence for my theory comes from numerous comments made by friends who have dieted that, having stopped dieting, have eventually gone back to the weight they were before – but not more than. If that is the case then whatever you do will ultimately have little to no effect.

So instead of reaching for that calorie counter, reach for mirror and start learning to love yourself just as you are – because I seriously doubt you’ll be alone. You do not need to be thin to be beautiful and healthy. And you certainly don’t need to diet to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment