Friday 6 November 2015

The Manhattan Purchase sketch - Mercorabilia

Not quite sure where the inspiration for this sketch came from. I think I just thought, assuming the myth surrounding the purchase (and sale) of Manhattan Island was true, it could make for an interesting conversation among the vendors.

Indian 1: What you got there?
Indian 2: Wouldn’t you like to know?
Indian 1: Yes I would – that’s why I’m asking.
Indian 2: I’ve got…some beads.
Indian 1: Uh-huh. And where did you get them from?
Indian 2: From those pale people over there. They said I had something they wanted to buy and if I’d sell it to them then in exchange they’d give me these beads.
Indian 1: I see – so it was a business deal. What did you sell them?
Indian 2: Manhattan.
Indian 1: Sorry?
Indian 2: Manhattan.
Indian 1: What? A bit of it? Or…
Indian 2: No – all of it.
Indian 1: All of it. The whole 23 square mile island.
Indian 2: Yup.
Indian 1: You sold the entire island of Manhattan to some strangers in exchange for some beads.
Indian 2: Yes.
Indian 1: And what’s so special about these beads?
Indian 2: Well…they’re beads.
Indian 1: Yes. And?
Indian 2: Well… they’re sparkly?
Indian 1: I see. Don’t you think you might perhaps have made a bit of a poor business deal there? Selling 60 square kilometres of land for a few cheap bits of glass.
Indian 2: Not really.
Indian 1: Why’s that?
Indian 2: Well, because we don’t even own Manhattan anyway(!)

No comments:

Post a Comment