Wednesday 18 November 2015

Expected Etiquette sketch - Mercorabilia

Have you ever noticed how sometimes we ask questions almost automatically - as if we're expecting a set answer? And have you wondered what would happen if we didn't get that set answer...
 
A: Hi, Bill.
B: Hi.
A: Are you alright?
B: Not really. No
A: Sorry?
B: I said - not really, no.
A: Oh.
B: Mmm.
A: I don’t really know what to say now.
B: What do you mean?
A: Well, I wasn’t expecting you to say no, actually.
B: Why not?
A: Well, it’s...not really what’s done, is it?
B: But you asked me how I was.
A: Yes, but you’re not supposed to say no. It’s not what’s expected. When someone asks if you’re alright, you’re supposed to say yes.
B: Even if you’re not.
A: Yes
B: Why?
A: It’s just what you’re supposed to do.
B: Oh. Shall we try again?
A: Ok. Hi, Bill. Are you alright?
B: Yes. I’m fine. Absolutely fine. 100% tiptop. Never been better. Completely and absolutely dandy.
A: You see, now I don’t believe you.

No comments:

Post a Comment