Tuesday 24 November 2015

A Question of Antiquity - Mercorabilia

Today a sketch inspired by my recent trip to the souvenir cabin; using items you could quite possibly find in Del Boy's lock-up.

Presenter: And here at the Antiques Roadshow we’ve got a man with quite an unusual collection of antiques. Hello, sir.
Punter: Good morning.
Presenter: Would you care to tell us a little about your items?
Punter: Certainly. Well, over here I’ve got an authentic Queen Anne hand-carved chair. As you can see it’s got an upholstered seat and back and the distinctive curved legs...
Presenter: With plastic arms.
Punter: Yes, very advanced those carpenters.
Presenter: Hmm.
Punter: And over here I have an antique Roman wristwatch.
Presenter: A ROMAN wristwatch?
Punter: Yes. You can tell it’s Roman from the numerals on the dial. And this is a genuine Elizabethan torch.
Presenter: Oh, well I guess they did sort of have torches in the Elizabethan age. Like you see in treasure hunter films.
Punter: Exactly. And all you need to do to operate it is press the switch on the side.
Presenter: (dubiously) Right. If it’s Elizabethan, why does it say Duracell on the side?
Punter: No – that’s D’Uracelle – a well-known Elizabethan family – famous for their inventions.
Presenter: I see. Well, excuse me for saying this but, uh, you don’t actually appear to have any antiques with you.
Punter: What do you mean?
Presenter: Well, it’s all rubbish, isn’t it?
Punter: It is not! I assure you these are all highly-prized and sought after gems. Worth vast amounts of money. And I’ve come here today to get a valuation on them.
Presenter: I’ll give you a fiver for the lot
Punter: Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment