Tuesday 31 March 2015

From The Mind of Merc - Merida & The Caramel Bunny

Sometimes I find my mind wandering over various eclectic topics and occasionally I am inspired to write some of them down. Today I was thinking about the sexualisation of cartoon characters. Obviously this follows on from last month’s topic and yet again Disney has to take the top spot on this as not even its medieval maiden can escape unscathed. Despite the fact that the whole ethos of Princess Merida is that she doesn’t abide by conventions or focus/dwell on her appearance, prior to her induction as an Official Disney Princess the powers that be decided she needed a makeover. This was the result:
There was a huge amount of uproar in reaction to this and the image was hastily removed – an action of which Merida herself would no doubt have approved.
But it seems that it is not only Disney that is guilty of this as shown by the new design of the Cadbury’s Caramel bunny which emerged in 2009 (before and after shown below)

Is someone able to tell me what’s wrong with the old one? Because I’m struggling

No comments:

Post a Comment