Tuesday 9 June 2020

4000 Mile Flight - !!!NEW!!!

There's a very unpleasant poem that seems to be doing the rounds atm and is (quite rightly) causing a lot of upset, distress and anger. So I thought I'd fix it by removing the dominant racist element. (If only it was this easy to fix all racist things)

4,000 Mile Flight (My version)
I will kneel with the masses,
But I won’t be told my fate,
By people who hijack tragedy,
To perpetuate their hate.

Don’t you shout Black Lives Matter,
Whilst running through the streets,
When your people are burning Foot Locker,
Stealing Nikes for their feet.

Don’t dance on The Cenotaph,
Like it’s Carnival or Mardi Gras,
That sacred granite edifice,
Marks people who died in war.

How dare you besiege Number 10,
This isn’t even your fight,
If you want to cause such damage,
Get a 4,000 mile flight.

Social distancing flouted,
Police punched in the face,
Missiles hurled at Downing Street.,
That isn’t about race.

It’s rent-a-mob and anarchists,
Versus police who just want peace,
They agree with the protest,
But want violence to cease

We see America’s burning,
It’s a tragedy we all agree,
That George Floyd lost his life,
For all the world to see.

Justice must take its course,
The cop has lost his job,
Now he faces twelve good and true,
Not a braying mob.

So Monday I will be kneeling,
And I sure will bow my head,
Because someone I don’t even know,
Should not be dead.

Although (a) robber and a felon,
In and out of jail,
Not a model citizen,
Yet his death was a fail.

I’ll weep for whom I choose to,
I’ll say where and when,
Like if anyone black or white was,
Murdered in the end.

I don’t condone the officers,
They rightly face the wrath,
But ask me to agree with the looting?
Don’t make me laugh.

You can keep your racist diatribes,
Your dismantling of our state,
It’s not BLM but anarchists,
They’re peddling the hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment