Saturday 24 January 2015

Petrol Prices sketch - Newsreview

I've managed to find another sketch I wrote for, but didn't submit to, Newsjack.
(One of the reasons I didn't submit it the condensed format in which I would need to send it which I felt impacted the comedy)

Intro: Petrol prices continue to rise – if they keep going up, how long before we face a scenario like this?
Customer: Pump no. 4, please
Vendor: Very good, sir – if you’d just like to sign here.
Customer: What is it?
Vendor: A mortgage application form – standard issue on all petrol purchases these days
Customer: What are the terms?
Vendor: Simple guarantee - usual collateral
Customer: What’s this? Forfeit the right to two limbs?
Vendor: Yes sir – your standard ‘Arm and a leg’ clause. Or we’re offering a very good deal on our new ‘Slavery Agreement’
Customer: Look - all I wanted was some petrol
Vendor: Yes, sir. I know, sir. And as soon as you’ve signed your life away on one these forms the sooner you’ll have it.
Customer: Oh very well. 
(sound of scribbling) 
Customer: What are you holding your hand out for?
Vendor: A tip?

This in itself is a condensed version of the sketch - the original draft ended like this:
Customer: Look - all I wanted was some petrol. I can’t afford this!
Vendor: Well, I suppose you could always hold me up.
Customer: Yes. Good idea – stick ‘em up your money or your-
(gunshot)
Customer: You shot me!
Vendor: Yes, sir – standard shoplifter practice if you’ll just look at this sign here.
Customer: Shoplifters will be … Well, what should I do now?
Vendor: Well, sir, the usual drill is to lie on the floor bleeding while awaiting the ambulance.
Customer: Yes, that sounds doable. Well, go on then - phone the ambulance.
Vendor: Yes, sir.
Customer: What are you holding your hand out for?
Vendor: These phone calls don’t come cheap, sir. Do you think I can afford one on my salary?

No comments:

Post a Comment