Tuesday 10 September 2019

Guess Who sketch - Mercorabilia


Partly inspired by John Finnemore and his (seemingly) favourite game – as it makes a regular appearance at his shows – and by my trip yesterday to catch his Flying Visit to Nottingham, I present this:

Fred: Now then… I’ve considered all the evidence carefully, and I believe the man I’m looking for… has… a beard!
Joe: Nope.
Fred: Damn!
<sound of Guess Who tiles being put down>
Fred: This is a rotten game.
Joe: You’re just a sore loser.
Fred: Can you blame me?
Joe: Can I blame you for being a sore loser? Yes – absolutely!
Fred: Well, I mean look at it. You’ve only got 4 possibles left. I’ve got half the board. I knew I didn’t stand a chance when I picked a woman card.
Fred: Anyway, it’s your go.
Joe: Right. I reckon the person I’m looking for has… large earrings.
Fred: <after a pause> Maybe.
Joe: What do you mean maybe? They either do or they don’t.
Fred: Well… they might.
Joe: Oh, you’re such a sore loser!
Fred: I am not! I wish you’d stop saying that!
Joe: Well, it’s true. Do they have large earrings or not?
Fred: Alright yes.
Joe: Thank you.
<sound of Guess Who tiles being put down>
Fred: Stupid game.
Joe: Stop being a sore loser – it’s your go.
Fred: Hmph. Let’s see. Whoops!
<sound of Guess Who boards rattling>
Joe: Hey!
Fred: Oh dear me.
Joe: You did that on purpose!
Fred: I did not!
Joe: You did! You’re such a sore loser. There was no need for you to shove the board like that.
Fred: I am not! And I had to grab the board – otherwise I would have lost my balance.
Joe: But it’s completely thrown off the game – we don’t know which ones were up and which were down now. We’ll have to start all over again.
Fred: No – let’s not. It’s a stupid game anyway. How about I Spy instead?
Joe: Alright. I spy with my little eye something beginning with S-L.
Fred: S-L. Hmm. S-L… Hang on – it’s Sore Loser, isn’t it?
Joe: There you are – you actually won something!

No comments:

Post a Comment