Monday 15 February 2016

Table For 1 sketch - Mercorabilia

The opening situation to this sketch will be familiar to many - and personally I've never quite understood it (unless the waiter's on commission and gets extra for the more people he seats per table). Maybe we should all have this reaction.

<Man walks into restaurant alone>
Waiter: Good evening, sir.
Customer: Good evening.
Waiter: Table for 1?
<Man looks around him>

Customer: Sorry?
Waiter: Table for 1?
Customer: Have you been drinking?
Waiter: No, sir. Why?
Customer: Well, I was just wondering how many people you can see if you need to ask how many the table’s for.
Waiter: Very funny, sir. So a table for 1 then.
Customer: Yes – oh no, wait – my invisible twin brother will need a seat too.
Waiter: Sir is a wit. This way.
Customer: Can I just ask you something?
Waiter: Certainly, sir.
Customer: It’s just...You saw me walk into this restaurant alone. You saw me walk over to you alone. And yet you still asked me how many the table was for. If you know I’m on my own, you know for a fact that no-one else is with me, why on earth would you ask if I want a table for one?
Waiter: Habit?

No comments:

Post a Comment